Friday, February 05, 2010

Faraway, So Close Shawl

The problem with many variegated yarns is that while they look fantastic on the skein, they pool badly and look rather ugly when knitted up.

However I think I have now found the ideal shawl pattern that makes the most of a good variegated yarn - Carina Spencer's Faraway, So Close Shawl.

I found this pattern while browsing Ravelry wondering what to make with my Mosaic Moon BFL Aran yarn in the Snow Blossom colourway. The yarn was deliciously soft but seemed a bit intense for anything I had in mind. One thing I noticed, however, was that every single Faraway, So Close Shawl made with Mosaic Moon yarn looked fantastic, no matter what the colourway.



I had 3 skeins of Snow Blossom plus a choice of 2 trims (green or pink), so plenty of yarn to make the large size version of the shawl.

I've already knitted up one skein (in just 2 days despite having to go quite slowly and take lots of breaks due to the crap-al tunnel) and am very impressed with how the shawl is turning out. This pattern could have been designed just to showcase the variegated Mosaic Moon yarns - very easy and fast knit that gives a lot of ‘bang for the buck’ in terms of results.


1 comment:

Sue said...

It looks beautiful. Hope the carpal tunnel isnt too painful to knit with.