Monday, January 26, 2009

Stashbuster Jnr Hat


This is my fifth hat of the year; a child-sized hat made out of DK scraps in my stash. I made up the pattern as I went and am quite happy with how it turned out. The green was a bitch with lots of breaks - I'm seriously thinking of chucking out the remainder.

It will probably end up going to a charity a fellow knitter has set up to raise funds for medical accessories for her seriously disabled daughter. (Ravellers can read all about the project here.)

Clearly I don't have enough knitting in my queue as I seem to find myself signing up to more and more projects every day. I'm currently doing a 'Favourite Colours' swap with the Australian Ravellers - I've been paired up with a Clever Chook who keeps her own sheep and llamas and dyes her own yarn; I'm a bit intimidated but she sounds like a lovely easy-going lady. And on her list of requests was a beanie. In a large size. And teal green. I cast on today and am already a third of the way there. After thumbing my way through every hat pattern I could find, I decided the simple 2X2 rib in a quality wool would make a very nice, if simple, hat that she would actually want to wear. I used some decadent Dream In Color 'Classy' - Blue Lagoon - from my stash - it actually looks much nicer and greener in real life.

The Hats for Israeli Soldiers project is still going - I find black a very boring colour to work with so I am alternating hats for them and hats for other purposes.

And because I was, I don't know, BORED maybe (joke) I contacted The Big Issue and asked them if they'd like some hats for their vendors. The answer was 'yes please'. Eighty-five percent of the vendors are male, so they'll also mainly be in the duller colours. Hopefully I can convince some fellow Melbourne knitters to join me with this.

The biggest joke is that this may be the last knitting I do for the week. Temperatures in Melbourne are predicted to hit above 38 and even 40 for the next seven days in a row. If you are looking for me, I'll be in the freezer.

No comments: