Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Ye Gods! Another Finished Object

I am going to destroy my reputation soon. I finished the knitting aspect of Jackie's Mohair Dreams scarf last night, although it still needs some serious blocking. It came out at a good length considering I only had 100 grams of yarn - about 220cm. But it is also very light and fluffy.

I had a love/hate relationship with the lace pattern. It was reasonably easy to memorise in the end but too difficult to keep track of if I was also trying to talk at the same time (I am a multi-tasking kind of girl). I am hoping the detail of the lace will come out once it is seriously blocked.

But not too much detail. There are a few places where I seriously fudged to ensure I had the right number of stitches on each row.

The pattern is what I would call anti-Zimmermann. Elisabeth Zimmermann developed a whole new way of knitting jumpers based on her hatred of knitting purl and sewing up seams (now you can see why I like her so much). While there are no seams, there is a lot of purl stitching in the lace, but surprisingly that aspect wasn't as painful as I would have thought it would be.

The most amazing aspect of this pattern is that I even started it.

No comments: