Monday, January 02, 2006

The Resolution and The Reality

Has anyone else noticed that New Year's Eve is probably the worst possible time to resolve to change one's life and one's bad habits? January 1 is the one day of the year nearly everyone is guaranteed to wake up at best sleep deprived, and at worst hung-over and with indigestion following the partying of the night before. Which hardly sets the scene for life-improving resolutions.

Resolution: I will improve my diet and eat only healthy food.
Reality: Left-over chips and sausages from last night's party prove to be an irresistible lure.

Resolution: I will exercise every day.
Reality: Getting up from bed is about all the exercise one can cope with on New Year's Day.

Resolution: I will cut down on caffeine consumption.
Reality: There is no way I am going to get anything done on January 1 without a kick-start cup of coffee and can of coke at lunch.

Resolution: I will get on top of the housework.
Reality: It's January 2 and the remains of the New Year's Eve party are still piled around the house.

My New Year Resolutions don't take effect until the New Year's public holidays are over. Which is tomorrow. Which means I have another 24 hours to clean up the house, fill the fridge with salad and ensure my gym gear is washed and available. At least this way, I have a fighting chance.

And from something I saw on another blog:

In the year 2006 I resolve to:
Stop being a productive member of society.

Get your resolution here

No comments: