Saturday, February 25, 2006

A knitter's greatest fear

Wrist injury.

Is it the start of the dreaded carpal tunnel syndrome (also known as occupational overuse syndrome - OOS - or RSI - Repetitive Strain Injury).

Or had I merely banged my hand against something without noticing?

I feared the former but my husband (aka Dr Jeff) suspected the latter, especially as it had come on quite suddenly. It actually felt like my hand had gone to sleep but the usual hand-shaking and rubbing wasn't getting the circulation going again. The only pain was around my wrist; it didn't extend up the forearm. What scared me was that I had lost strength to grip in my right-hand.

Dr Jeff prescribed ibuprofen and an ice-pack and things are better today - I've got the strength back in my hand but it is still quite sore around the wrist.

Maybe I just banged my hand after all.

1 comment:

Carrie K said...

You banged your hand. Anything else is just too horrifying to contemplate.