Sunday, October 21, 2007

Knitting for kids

For someone who doesn't have kids, I knit an awful lot of kid-sized stuff. Part of it is the fun of trying new patterns or ideas on pint-sized items and the satisfaction that comes with completing projects relatively quickly. Part of it is the lack of sizing stress when knitting for kids - it doesn't matter if something is too large for the kid to wear now; they'll eventually grow into it. And part of it is the satisfaction which comes from giving a present which is completely unique. I can't and don't want to compete with those who purchase expensive designer outfits, and I don't want to be looked on as lesser than because I buy something from a chain store - even though I know these items are often the most used by parents.

A few years ago I knitted a jumper for a child with his name emblazoned on the front. He loved it and the parents loved it but they've made a request; no more garments with his name on it. Because he is a very friendly kid and they worry he might wander off with a stranger who knows his name because it is written all over his jumper.

I totally understand this but part of me rebels. Maybe I could do his name in a foreign language. How many people know Hebrew?

You see I want this jumper to be unique, just for him, something that can't be passed down to another child. And I realise how selfish and impractical this sounds. But it is how I feel.

And it's no more impractical than the person who buys a dry-clean only designer white outfit for a six-month old child.

No comments: